Pages

Monday, February 2, 2009

English Muffin Bread

Good Afternoon!

Today I have been itching to get some things done around the house. The weekend was beautiful and I managed to clean and vacuum my front porch. I have company coming tomorrow, so I should at least clean the bathrooms even if the rest of the house is kinda messy! I managed to scrub one bathroom (minus the shower) while I made the English Muffin Bread below. I threw it all in the bread machine and let it run! I washed my hands to get all the ick and chemicals off before lining a loaf pan with cooking spray and cornmeal and it's doing the second rising right now in the oven that I preheated to about 75 degrees and shut off. Now, I get to clean the other bathroom and both showers and I won't mind when Rach sees the house. :)

I am a sucker for a good English Muffin. Some peanut butter and my homemade zucchini jam and I'm all set. I can't wait to try this! It had good reviews on allrecipes, though I had to tweak it just a bit! And I'm too lazy to cook them on a griddle, so I'm making it as a loaf and slicing it. Should be good for toasting!! Many people suggested using an 11.5 oz coffee can and greasing that to bake the bread in to make it round like traditional english muffins, but we buy our coffee in bags or monster plastic tubs, so there aren't any coffee cans laying about waiting for re-purposing. Anyway, here's the recipe....I'll be back later with the verdict!
















English Muffin Bread

In your bread maker put:
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
2 cups ap flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (or use AP, your choice, but I used wheat)
2 1/4 tsp yeast

Run on the dough setting.

When it finishes, spray a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. BE PREPARED: Your dough will be sticky! Shape into the pan. Sprinkle the top with cornmeal. Cover an let rise until doubled in size. Mine took about 30 minutes in the oven (preheat oven to 75-80 degrees, turn off and leave the loaf inside). Bake at 400 for at least 15 minutes. You'll need to watch it so that you get your desired color and texture. It probably won't be done at the 15 minutes, so just start checking then. Allow to cool before slicing. TOAST and enjoy!

**I'm back! Straight from the oven, sliced it's not great. It's bland, but with potential! So, I waited until it cooled and then I toasted a slice, smeared it full of peanut butter and zucchini jam and OH. MY. WORD! YUM, YUM, YUM! Just as good or better than any store-bought english muffin! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for visiting Cafe Jessica! Please let me know what you think and leave a comment! I'd love to know if you try any of the recipes you see and what you thought!