Pages

Monday, December 15, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

This weekend, Tim asked me to make Shepherd's Pie...like his sister Steph makes it. Many of you know that Shepherd's Pie is on Tim's all-time favorite list. So, I did like any good wife would. I called his sister, got the recipe and then modified it. lol! I told you that I can not make a recipe as written! And after all that, it needs more tweaking, but it did taste good. I just didn't go for the pureed carrots. So, here's the recipe for anyone who's interested. I've written it as I would tweak it for the next time I make it. Enjoy!

8-10 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 a large onion, diced fine
1/4-1/2 cup butter
milk or half and half

Bring potatoes and onion to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and mash with butter and milk or half and half to taste. Set aside until ready to spread over the meat.

While you are waiting for the potatoes to boil.........cook the meat....

2 lbs meat....ground beef, chicken, turkey, venison (I used half beef and half venison)
10+ carrots, chopped and lightly steamed (still want them a little crunchy, but not like they'd be fresh)
salt and pepper, to taste
3+ cloves minced garlic
2 cans tomato soup
1/2 a large onion, chopped (I chop mine pretty fine so the kids don't complain too loudly)

Preheat oven to 375. Then, fry meat with a little butter and some onion and the garlic. Stir in the cooked carrots and tomato soup. Spread in a 3 qt casserole dish.

Spread potatoes over the meat. Top with cheese if desired. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.

This makes a pretty big pan, but it's enough for all of us (Tucker had seconds!!) and for Tim and me to have lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for visiting Cafe Jessica! Please let me know what you think and leave a comment! I'd love to know if you try any of the recipes you see and what you thought!